Do I Need an RSA Certification Before I Start Work?

So you’ve been looking at this job and it says you need an RSA to be considered for the job. Do you actually need one? And for what circumstances?


What is an RSA?

An RSA or Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol is a course you must complete if you’re wanting to work in any place that sells or serves alcohol. This unit is required by law in all Australian states and territories before you can work in a licensed venue.

The RSA will provide you with vital skills and knowledge that will equip you to perform your role at a licensed venue. Through your RSA course you will learn how to act lawfully and professionally in an environment where alcohol is sold or served.

You will learn how to assist customers to drink within a reasonable limit—when to “refuse service”, how to identify customers who’ve drunk past their limit and the penalties associated with irresponsible service of alcohol. You’ll learn what a standard drink is and what that little line you sometimes see on glasses in licensed venues is there for (hint – it’s not what you think!).

Now you might be worried that you’ll have to give up your entire day to a face to face course to complete your RSA course; however, online RSA courses are a great option if you’re looking for a course you can complete in your own time and at your own pace!


Do I actually need an RSA?

If you’re working in a licensed venue or anywhere that retails alcohol, you’ll need an RSA. It’s required by law and you need it from day one to be able to complete your duties – or you and your boss could be hit with a pretty hefty fine (that’s not a very good first day!).

As I mentioned, it will also provide you with a number of important skills which will help you to perform your role at a licensed venue. You’re also going to need an RSA if you work as any of the following

  • Food and beverage attendant,
  • Retail liquor sales person,
  • Winery, brewery and distillery cellar door staff,
  • Supplier sales representative,
  • Security staff who monitors behaviour,
  • Venue licensee.


So Where Do I Get an RSA?

There are a number of places that provide responsible service of alcohol (RSA) training, both in-person and online – so you don’t need to worry about sacrificing your whole day to some boring in-person course! This way you can choose at what pace you learn and at what time.


How Do I tell Who’s a Good Online RSA Provider?

There are a lot of providers available to you who you can complete your RSA online training with. When you’re looking at who’s best for you, you really need to assess how you’re going to use your certification.

It’s important to look at what states and territories the course provider is recognised in. For example, you could be in Queensland and do a course and then realise that, although the course is accepted in the Northern Territory, the course isn’t recognised in Queensland, which means you’ve just wasted your time and money!

Of course, if you’re moving to the Northern Territory and not planning to move for a while, then that course may be the perfect one for you. It’s really just a matter of thinking about how you’re going to use your RSA training and what will work for you.


I’ve Completed My Course – Now What?

Once you have completed your RSA online training and received your statement of attainment you’ve achieved the minimum training requirements – just check your specific state/territories additional training requiremnts – if they have any! You’re gained the skills and knowledge to begin selling and serving alcohol in licensed venues so you can get that job now!

Will an RSG make me more employable?

Are you looking for a job in hospitality, and wondering if an RSG is the right training for you? If so, then you’re in the right place! Read on and discover all you need to know about the Responsible Service of Gambling unit – what is it, why you need it & when you should get it. Let’s jump into it!


What is an RSG?

An RSG – also known as the “Provide Responsible Gambling Services” course or “SITHGAM001” is a required certification employees must possess to be able to carry out gaming duties in a licensed venue in Queensland, Western Australia & the Northern Territory. It provides you with the knowledge and skills to be able to responsibly and legally carry out your duties in a licensed venue.

The RSG training, as well as being a legal requirement, will also provide information and assistance to ensure that you can fulfil your duties to the best of your ability. Basically, it means that you can uphold responsible gambling procedures.


Why do you need an RSG?

Organisations that offer gaming services to patrons have the potential to make a significant amount of money at the expense of individuals, and it is for this reason – among many others- that there is mandatory training required for everyone who facilitates the act of gambling in a licensed venue. This training will provide you with the knowledge to recognise when another person is showing signs of problem gambling and what to do to help them.

It might sound boring,  but it is important that you understand the legal aspects of gambling. It will teach you the confidentiality and privacy requirements of gambling and help you to provide appropriate assistance to customers. It will also help you in any gambling related incident or situation because the course provide informations on available support services to those at-risk or currently engaging in problem gambling.


Who needs an RSG?

It is important to do your own research about whether you need an RSG. Not all states and territories require an RSG certification to work in the industry. Some people who need RSGs could include:

  • Food & bar attendant,
  • Gaming/Tab attendant
  • Duty Manager
  • Venue Manager
  • Gaming Room Supervisor


When do you need an RSG?

In some states and territories, you have up to three months from commencing employment at a venue that serves gaming to complete your RSG training. However, most venues won’t hire staff without the certification—some won’t even interview you without an RSG, so it’s in your best interests to complete your training as soon as you can.


Do you need an RSA as well?

While you aren’t legally required to hold both, it can be a good idea to complete both RSG and RSA training, as it allows you to offer your employer flexibility in your ability to work across different areas. It’s also important to note that liquor and gaming are usually served side by side and so to be able to perform the duties of your job fully, you may be required to serve alcohol anyway.

Really, it’s a matter of looking at the job that you will be doing and assessing what duties will be required in this position, and how employable you want to seem to potential employers.

A Responsible Service of Alcohol certification is only necessary if you’re going to be serving alcohol. For example, somebody who works at a newsagent may not be required to hold an RSA, but somebody who works at an RSL in the gaming lounge would be required to hold an RSA as well as an RSG.


Where do you get an RSG?

You can actually complete online RSG training—so you don’t need to worry about a boring all day lesson where you don’t learn anything. You can complete course materials at your own pace and at a time that suits you.


Will an RSG be expensive?

An RSG certification really shouldn’t be too expensive. For instance, you can get an RSG for only $21. If you’re hoping to get your RSG and RSA together, many online training portals will offer bundles where you can complete the training at a reasonable price as well.


So you’ve completed the course, now what?

Hooray! You’re now qualified to provide responsible gambling services to customers in a licensed venue! You’re also free to put on your resume that you’ve completed your RSG—watch the interviews come rolling in

etrainu Expert Advice: Featuring Paul Garnham

etrainu’s face-to-face trainer, Paul Garnham, has over 20 year’s experience training and working with participants wanting to secure their RSA, RMLV, Food Handlers and Food Safety Supervisor certifications.

Based in North Queensland, Paul has conducted face-to-face courses from The Cape all the way to Hamilton Island, in the progress helping students network and develop careers in the hospitality industry.

Completing a Responsible Management of Licensed Venue (RMLV) course is mandatory for all licensees, nominees and applicants for an approved manager’s licence in Queensland. It is a comprehensive course with a focus on management, covering law and liquor licence requirements and a range of management strategies to assist operators in the responsible conduct of their business

Paul recently took some time out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions about conducting RMLV face-to-face training and the nature of the industry.

1. For the RMLV face-to-face course, what do the 10 hours entail for participants?

The training covers legislation and the requirements of Managers and licensee’s in the industry to be compliant in their business. Participants learn about policies and procedures that can be put into place to reduce the chances of fines and prosecutions under the liquor act.

2. What’s the atmosphere of a face-to-face session like? Is it relaxed or fairly formal?

I make the training relaxed so the students open up and ask questions and talk about any issues they may have in their business so I can offer solutions and advise on the liquor act to maintain compliance.

3. In terms of numbers, how many students do your face-to-face classes’ facilitate?

Depending on the course, it can anywhere from two to twenty.

4. RMLV courses are only offered as a face-to-face training session. Do you think it’s important to keep this course taught in person? Why/why not? Could you see it offered online in the future?

I feel that it is very important with the RMLV course to remain face to face so the students can get interactions and also ask questions at any time. A lot of the learning is about real life situations that come from the trainer or other students and are different at each course depending on the students and types of business.

5. In your opinion, what’s the best approach when it comes to teaching face-to-face?

It’s open and interactive and involves the students and real life situations.

6. You have been teaching for over two decades, what aspects of face-to-face teaching do you enjoy in particular?

Being able to share real life stories with students and passing on my knowledge gained over many years of experience.

7. During this time, have you seen any significant changes in the industry?

We are now more compliant driven in the industry with the major changes being Liquor Accords, Drink Safe Precincts and civil litigation.

8. Where do you see the hospitality industry in Australia in ten years time?

The industry is becoming more and more regulated and it will be the operators that have strong policies and procedures in place that will prosper and stand the test of time.

9. What qualities make up an ideal manager for a licensed venue?

Someone that is passionate about the industry and is a good communicator that trains and develops others to give the best customer experience possible.


Interested in doing some organised training with Paul? Contact him on 0400 902 966 or contact etrainu on 07 3114 2958 or via email at [email protected]

Be sure to consult our RMLV page from our website for further details on course dates, locations and pricing information.


The Ultimate Guide To Hand Washing


Hand hygiene is the general term referring to any action or process of hand washing with the aim to reduce the number of microorganisms on the hands. But really, why is it so important?

It’s a simple question and a simple process, but many people are not aware of the benefits of effective hand washing techniques.

In conjunction with the World Health Organisation’s  Save Lives: Clean Your Hands Day on May 5th, we’ve developed a FREE interactive “Ultimate Guide to Hand Washing” course.

This creative, engaging and informative course is great for everyone! Why not show your team or encourage your office to get involved and complete the course?

Practising correct hand hygiene dramatically reduces the number of organisms on the hands, and therefore limits the spread of germs and infection.

Worldwide, hand hygiene is considered the single most important control strategy to minimise healthcare-associated infections!

Clean hands can save lives! You’re on the way to a smarter, safer and healthier life!

Take the FREE hand washing course today!

ultimate guide to hand washing etrianu

ultimate guide to hand washing etrainu

ultimate guide to hand washing etrainu

free ultimate guide to handwashing etrainu

To embed the training on your own site for free, check out: and use the embed code down the bottom!

The Right Start – Keep Young Workers Safe with White Card Training

A new WorkSafe QLD video has revealed alarming researching statics indicating that around 700 young workers in the construction industry are becoming seriously injured at work each year!

Serious injury (in this instance) is defined as an injury that keeps them off work for at least five days, potentially causing an outcome that could affect their ability to work for the rest of their life.

As a registered training provider of the White Card Online Course across all Australian states, etrainu feels obligated to share this video and encourage all employers, managers and supervisors to watch and understand the importance of keeping young workers safe!

The video follows the workday of two young construction workers and shows relatable scenarios highlighting the difference between effective and ineffective work design, the importance of providing induction training as well as adequate supervision, feedback, employee support and mentoring for ALL young workers.

As discussed in the video, young workers have a unique risk profile because they are potentially still developing intellectually, socially and physically.

Young workers are less likely to ask questions or raise safety concerns. This again pushes the underlining lesson that safety induction training (as per our White Card Online Training Course) MUST BE completed by every young worker.

This is not only the responsibility of the worker to take on this training, but also that of their manger or supervisor to check they have completed the training and successfully acquired their White Card.

The White Card Online Course is designed to teach basic knowledge of risks in construction work and how to prevent them.

Find out more information, here.

What is a Standard Drink Size?

Free Standard Drinks online training module and poster! This short online training module will teach you about the standard drink sizes for alcoholic beverages, including Beers, Wines, Spirits and Liqueurs. This training is perfect as a standard drinks refresher for anyone that has completed their RSA Course, or for anyone working around alcohol.


Standard Drinks Online Module

Go on… scrub up on your knowledge of standard drinks with this short, sharp online training module. It should only take you about 15 minutes to complete and it’s entirely free (and fun)!

What's a Standard Drink Module


Standard Drink Posters

Perfect for venue owners and managers that want promote the responsible service of alcohol at their venues. Hang it up as visual reminder for employees at bars, pubs, restaurants, cafes, and more!

Standard drinks

Poster  Snippet


PDF Posters

Generic:  A3 Size   |  A4 Size

Festive Season:  A3 Size  |  A4 Size

Print Ready Posters

Generic:  A3 Size |  A4 Size

Festive Season:  A3 Size |  A4 Size